Considered by many to be the only true mixed-methods qualitative data analysis software on the market today
"One of, if not the best multi-use text application" Linguist, April 2004
QDA Miner is an easy-to-use qualitative data analysis software package for coding, annotating, retrieving and analyzing small and large collections of documents and images. QDA Miner qualitative data analysis tool may be used to analyze interview or focus group transcripts, legal documents, journal articles, speeches, even entire books, as well as drawings, photographs, paintings, and other types of visual documents. Its seamless integration with Simstat, a statistical data analysis tool, and WordStat, a quantitative content analysis and text mining module, gives you unprecedented flexibility for analyzing text and relating its content to structured information including numerical and categorical data.
Who uses QDA Miner?
QDA Miner qualitative data analysis software can be used by anyone who needs to code text or pictures, annotate, search, explore and extract information from small or large collections of documents and images, including:
- Researchers in social sciences, medicine, and psychology
- Sociologists, political scientists and ethnographers
- Business intelligence analysts, market researchers, pollsters, and CRM professionals
- Crime analysts, fraud detection experts, lawyers, and paralegal professionals
- Journalists, historians and research assistants
- Document management specialists and librarians
Key and Unique features
QDA Miner offers higher levels of computer-assistance for qualitative coding, analysis, and report writing than any other qualitative data analysis software on the market today:
|Flexible memoing and hyperlinking features to annotate documents and images and connect various pieces of qualitative evidence by creating links to other coded segments, cases, documents, files, or web sites.
|Advanced Geotagging and Time-tagging tools to associate geographic and time coordinates to text segments or graphic areas, retrieve coded data based on time or location and plot events in space and time, create dynamic maps and interactive timelines.
|Unique computer assistance for coding with more than seven text search tools including keyword search, section retrieval, a powerful query-by-example search tool that learns from the user, and a unique cluster extraction and coding tool.
|Flexible coding retrieval tools for extracting coded segments associated with specific codes or code patterns and identifying coding co-occurrences, coding sequences and assessing relationships between coding and numerical or categorical properties.
More computer assistance on coding
QDA Miner offers more computer assistance for coding than any other qualitative research software on the market, allowing you to code documents more quickly but also more reliably. Other qualitative research tools typically offer a single text search tool to extract sentence or paragraphs containing specific words or phrases (what we call a Boolean search). QDA Miner offer not just one but seven text search and retrieval tools, allowing you to achieve more reliable coding in less time. Let’s look at some of these:
- The Keyword Retrieval tool can search in a single pass for hundreds of keywords and key phrases related to the same idea or concept, allowing you to locate all references to a single topic, no matter which words were used to express this idea.
- The Section Retrieval tool is ideal to automatically retrieve and tags sections in structured documents, allowing you, for example, to quickly attach codes, to turn in interview or focus group transcripts, or code a specific section in a collection of reports sharing the same structure.
- The Query by Example tool can be trained to retrieve text segments having similar meaning to the examples you feed in. It will expand and refine its search based on the relevance feedback you provide.
- The Cluster Extraction tool will group similar sentences or paragraphs into clusters and allow you to code these using a flexible drag-and-drop editor. It is very useful to quickly code large amounts of short text items such as open-ended responses, Twitter feeds and customer feedback. A real timesaver!
- The Code Similarity search will retrieve all text segments similar those that have already been coded, allowing you to identify sentences or phrases you may have missed. It may also be used to speed up the coding of partially coded projects. One may even search for items similar to codes defined in previous coded projects.
- The Date and Location extraction tool is ideal to quickly locate and tag references to events or to geographic locations. One may then attach specific codes, geotags or time tags to the retrieved items.
More computer assistance for analyzing
QDA Miner integrates statistical and visualization tools such as clustering, multidimensional scaling, heatmaps, correspondence analysis and sequence analysis. It can also compute statistical tests such as Chi Square, Pearson Correlation and so on, to help you identify the strongest relationships. No need to purchase separate statistical software or transfer data to another application. You can quickly identify patterns and trends, explore patterns in your coding, as well as describe, compare and test hypotheses without the need to even leave the software. This is one of the reasons why QDA Miner is considered by many to be the first and still only true, mixed methods qualitative software on the market today.
More assistance in report writing
QDA Miner offers more assistance for reporting than any other QDA software. You can easily create, within QDA Miner, presentation-quality graphics such as bar charts, pie charts, bubble charts and concept maps, and export them as required to Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, HTML and other popular formats. Also, its unique Report Manager tool allows you easy, single-location storing of queries and analysis results; tables and graphs; as well as research notes and quotes. It also helps you organize information, structure findings, and draft interpretations, or to assemble any other relevant pieces of information that you may wish to include in your final report. Once you are ready, the structured information may be exported to Microsoft Word, RTF or HTML for final editing.
More assistance for teamwork
Large qualitative research projects often require the effort of multiple coders. QDA Miner offers assistance in such situation by providing enhanced teamwork support features like a flexible multi-user settings tool that allows you to define for each team worker what they can or cannot do. QDA Miner will assist you in duplication and distribution of projects to team members. It also provide a powerful merge feature bringing together, in any single project, codings, annotations, reports, and log entries of different coders working independently. It also offers a unique inter-raters agreement assessment module, that may be use to ensure the coding reliability of multiple coders.
More computer assistance for larger projects
A single QDA Miner project can hold tens of thousands of documents, or hundreds of thousands of short text responses. Even with such large projects, the software will use a limited amount of computer resources (memory & CPU time). Our development team has spent a great deal of time optimizing the software for speed, so even when performing complex searches, advanced statistical analysis, or when creating large reports, QDA Miner will responds quickly.
You can download a demo version of the latest QDA Miner from here.
Prices and ordering
For prices, on-line ordering and other purchasing information please go to our ordering page.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8, 10, 11 (see note below for Mac OS and Linux)
- Memory: From 256 MB (XP) to 1GB (Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10, 11)
- Disk Space: 70 MB of disk space
Note: QDA Miner will run on a Mac OS computer with Parrallels, Booth Camp, Virtual Box, CrossOver, or other Windows emulation tools. QDA Miner also will run on a Linux computers using CrossOver or Wine.